Friday, July 01, 2005

Cory Aquino's Statement

Bookmark and Share

People power has succeeded only if it is for others. It was so in 1986, when those who led the revolution led from the front; it was so in 2001. But People Power for oneself will never succeed.

I, too, have been pressured to speak up. Excuse me but I had a good reason to keep my peace until I was ready. I was praying. Praying for light, for myself and our country.

Last night, I paid a call on Susan Sonora Poe. I congratulated her on the passion of her speech, and the sincerity of her convictions. But I made it clear that I will always stand by the Constitution.

I believe that the Constitution contains all the ways by which one may safely effect even the most difficult political changes. There is no need to step outside it. To step outside the Constitution will only expose us to greater danger than the injustice we want to correct.

I don't know how many people still believe in the power of prayer but I do.

I really believe in prayer and prayer has always guided me rightly, both in what I should say and when I should say it.

When I opted for participation in the 1984 election under Marcos, I was criticized as being naive.

The victories of the opposition, notwithstanding a rigged election, gave the friends of freedom the true measure of their strength and the unwavering confidence to go on the snap election and the Edsa People Power Revolution.  

Prayer and the strength and courage that prayer gives, gave us back our freedom and protected it.

Prayer and prayerful reflection have never failed me or failed our country. It will not do so now.

I repeat, without any embarrassment, my call for prayer and prayerful reflection so that, in the days and weeks ahead, the steps we take will be the right ones toward truth, justice, and peace.

No comments: